Friday, April 6, 2007

Shiny things

When I lived in Florida, I spent as much time as possible on Sanibel Island. In fact, I did my first archeology there. After a long day excavating shell middens, we'd rinse off in the ocean. Crows in the Australian pines watched and cackled while we splashed in the shallows.

Crows love things that are shiny. At Christmas we'd hang silver tinsel on the sea grapes and, next time we were there, we'd find that tinsel in the treetops, woven into nests.

I'm a lot like those crows. When I see shiny things, I want to take them home. My taste runs toward the handmade jewelry from Novica – ethnic pieces to wear with natural jute and muslin, or with silk in jewel colors.

I'm in love with jewelry by Brazilian designer Claudio Bravo. He weaves buriti palm fiber into wonderful necklaces and bracelets, adding details in gold. Some include gemstones, selected for their natural energy.

Putu Sutarka is a young designer from Bali. He crafts his jewelry from brass with beautiful handmade textures. Clusters of shining hoops suggest a bold, modern lace, and the ethereal geometry of his bracelets, necklaces and earrings makes me feel forever young.

After all these years, Mexico is home to me, as much my home as Florida. Martha Vargas' jewelry is modern, but rooted in the traditions of Michoacan's indigenous peoples. Inlays of natural rosewood, crystal or bone contrast with silver. Some pieces incorporate religious icons and milagros, often given to the image of Christ or a saint in gratitude for miracles performed.

These are a few of the shiny things I like.

No comments: